My Honest Skin Medica Reviews
Ohh, guys…..this has been a fun review to work on! SkinMedica, the holy grail for many people in terms of skincare is super pricey, therefore super intriguing!
Is SkinMedia worth the cost? Does it work?
After using the products with no filler or botox for three months, I am finally able to cast my verdict on three of the best SkinMedica products: SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum®, SkinMedica Lytera® 2.0 Pigment Correcting Serum and SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator.
Shop the Best SkinMedica Products
Knowing Your Skin Type Will Help You Choose the Best SkinMedica Products for You
To caveat my review, my skin type is as follows:
- I am 41 years old, and have 3 children. I mention the children (and not the husband) because, well, sleep matters with your skin!
- I grew up in Florida so have a ton of skin damage. Sunscreen was not a thing of my childhood, but tanning beds and baby oil were! Ugh.
- Irish, English skin = red and fair!
- I do not smoke, and maybe have a few glasses of wine a week at the most.
- I drink two cups of coffee today (see 3 kids above.)
- I have slightly sensitive skin, though I have built a strong tolerance for Retin-A (post coming soon about that so be sure you get my newsletter!)
- Standard skin – in winter it’s dry but usually it’s average skin. Not too oil, not too dry.
Morning Routine Using them:
- Rinse face and neck using Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (I find it easier on my skin than their face cleanser.) Using warm water, I rinse with hands and pat dry.
- Apply the TNS Essential Serum® to my mostly dry skin.
- Once that’s soaked in (I wait for stickiness to be gone) I apply the SkinMedia Lytera® 2.0.
- Then I apply the Skinmedia HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator cream. To apply this, I run my fingertips under water and apply lotion with slightly wet fingers as noted in their directions.
- Lastly, I apply SkinMedia TNS Eye Repair cream, and depending on the day and if my skin is extra dry, I finish with a moisturizer. However, most days I did not use a moisturizer for sake of the trial.
- For the purposes of this test, I tried not to mix in too many other products, unless I was having a very dry day.
- Remove all makeup using a warm gray washcloth and the Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm (I swear by this.)
- Second, cleanse with Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and rinse with just hands, no washcloth. Pat dry.
- Apply the SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum®.
- Same process as morning – wait until stickiness is gone, add Lytera® 2.0 then follow with SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator.
- Apply the TNS Eye Repair cream.
- Because I prefer to moisturize heavily at night, I then apply either the Elemis Peptide4 Night Recovery Cream-Oil or The Ordinary Buffet Serum. I also love the Murad Nutrient- Charged Water Gel moisturizer.
- On the nights I apply Retin-A, I apply it after step 4. On these nights I typically skip the moisturizer.
Before and After Photos
The following photos were taken at the office of Dr. Carmen Kavali, a board-certified plastic surgeon in the Atlanta area. She is typically who administers my botox and filler when I get it and she’s fabulous!
All photos on left were taken before using the SkinMedia anti-aging regime, photos on right are three months later.
No makeup is worn in either, with the exception of the ‘after’ where I have some funky, leftover mascara/eye shadow that looks nas-tay!
Again, my face has no filler or botox in these photos. This is me in all my glory without anything else – not even a facial! Time difference between photos is about three months apart.
What does TNS Essential Serum® do?
The SkinMedica website states: “This all-in-one skin rejuvenating serum improves the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, skin tone and texture.”
Verdict on the TNS Essential Serum®
Wow on my forehead! Look how much better my wrinkles look! I chalk this up the the TNS Essential Serum® and hydration. Science backs up the research on the TNS Essential Serum® so this is a win for me!
I don’t see much difference on my crows feet – then again, these photos don’t show me smiling to really activate those wrinkles! But I will say that looking in the mirror, the crows feet don’t seem any different.
But the photo evidence of the forehead are more than enough to give me all the feels!
What is the Lytera® 2.0? SkinMedica Lyteria 2.0 Before and After
The SkinMedia website states: “Lytera® 2.0 is an advanced Pigment Correcting Serum, formulated to address the appearance of stubborn skin discoloration.”
I’ve heard the lyteria before and after results are great. Again you can check those out online and see for yourself.
Lytera® 2.0 Pigment Correcting Serum
Meh. This is a pass for me. I see zero difference in any of my melanoma or sun damage. Nada. Zilch. The Lytera® 2.0 won’t stick around in my routine.
Check out my lyteria before and after pictures below.
What does the HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator do?
The SkinMedia website states that it: “Provides immediate smoothing in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and supports the skin’s natural ability to retain moisture resulting in radiant, rejuvenated tone and texture.”
SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator
I love the SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator, if only for how it feels! It is oh so silky smooth when you apply it! You can practically feel your skin plumping as your apply it! It feels yummy. My personal opinion is that hydrated skin shows wrinkles less. So I will keep all the hydration I can!
The Skinmedia HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator gel is not at all the same as a moisturizer. Try it – you’ll see! I’s a very unique formula and it just feels expensive! This is a win for me!
SkinMedica TNS Eye Repair
I don’t see much of a difference in my under eye after using the TNS Eye Repair (see the SkinMedica TNS before and after pictures below).
All I can see in the after is some wonky, holy cow messed up eye lashes! I mean, what went wrong there? Sheesh!
While I think this under-eye cream goes on nicely, even under makeup, I don’t see evidence of major change. So I may stick with my Bobbi Brown Extra Eye Repair that I love and is less expensive.
The TNS Eye Repair cream is nice though and feels very moisturizing going on! It’s actually a very nice formula so would consider it again.
So is SkinMedica worth the $$$?
I think the TNS Essential Serum® and SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator is. The Lytera 2.0 can go by the wayside for me in favor of something else.
With aging skin kicking into full gear I’m motivated by the forehead lines to keep the other two going. What is the expression an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?
These two will stay a part of my routine!
Try the Rest of my Anti-Aging Skincare Regime!
Has anyone else tried SkinMedica products? Please leave a comment with what you’ve used and what you think of it, so we can all read!
I love hearing other Skin Medica Reviews to see if your experience is similar to mine.