I’m a huge believer in tinted moisturizer. It’s my go-to all summer long when I don’t have to look perfectly pulled together. However, after trying so many brands throughout the years I have a lot of thoughts to share! I’ve been seeking the help of my Dermatologist and aesthetician to find the brand that works best for me and helps slow that whole aging thing I’m not so fond of! Sunscreen is where it’s at guys. You don’t need me to tell you that, though!
tinted moisturizer benefits
- Can provide sunscreen coverage without looking white on the skin.
- Lighter weight than foundation and doesn’t clog pores as much.
- Can be reapplied during the day without much fuss.
- Comes in varied shades (usually) for the right skin type.
- Easy to use under foundation for sunscreen coverage than typical sunscreen formula.
using tinted moisturizer under foundation
- Do not rely on foundations that have SPF to do the job. The formula is inconsistent and not reliable.
- Most foundations only seem to have SPF 15. You can find tinted moisturizers with much higher SPF protectant levels!
- There is such thing as sweat resistant moisturizer. Ensure longer lasting protection, especially during those summer months!
- The tint allows the color to melt into your skin and provides a full SPF benefit.
- Always top the moisturizer with a Foundation Prep. This way the SPF can disappear into your skin but the Prep provides a soft canvas to apply your make up. I used to think Foundation Prep was a way to increase sales, but after using it as a trial the past year I will not wear foundation without it now. My make-up no longer breaks and my pores clog so much less. I’m truly a convert to Foundation Prep! More on this coming up in future blog posts!
favorite tinted moisturizer
- I‘m a huge fan of EltaMD. This comes in lots of varied formulas.
- My favorite is the EltaMD Physical Broad Spectrum SPF 41. It’s has chemical free active ingredients, is oil free with antioxidants and transparent zinc oxide. It’s also water resistant for up to 40 minutes.
- My only complain about the EltaMD tinted moisturizer is that there is only one shade available. I know a lot of people have complained about this so I’m hoping they are working on offering more shades.
- It works – I went to Anguilla (close to the equator) last year and wore it almost exclusively on my neck and face. I burn very easily and I never burned or even turned pink with the Elta MD.
- It has a fairly matte finish so looks nice without powder.
- Layers great under my Foundation (but first the prep!)
not so favorite tinted moisturizer
I really don’t care for the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer because I don’t think it offers enough protection. The pro’s of the Laura Mercia tinted moisturizer is that it does offer beautiful shades to choose from. It also has vitamins C and E (but again, future posts to come on this soon, so get my newsletter.) My issue with it is that it only comes in SPF 20 and is not water resistant. I also find it a bit cakey feeling. This is nice if you have dry skin, but I have normal skin and I think it feels a bit thick. So laying it with Prep, Foundation and then powder leaves my skin feeling – heavy. It’s not my choice at all when weighing the benefits of the EltaMD.
However! The Laura Mercier Foundation Primer in Radiance is the bomb and I highly recommend that! We’ll be discussing primers in future posts.
where to buy EltaMD
Unfortunately you can’t buy it online. You can only buy through a physician. There is a lot of fraud in the beauty business so I wouldn’t trust this. I actually called EltaMD to confirm this. To find out where to buy it in person click here!
Thoughts? Suggestions? Would love to hear them! Comment below so we can all learn together! One big happy, skin protected family!